Colombian Academy of Exact, Physical and Natural Sciences
The Colombian Academy of Sciences was founded in 1929 based on Law 39 of 1913 and Law 16 of 1929. In 1933, the Academy was recognized as a consultative body of the Colombian government by Law 34 of 1933. Since then, it has operated without interruption. It promotes scientific research, particularly those programs that are oriented to enhance knowledge of the Colombian natural environment and its resources. Science teaching improvement, at all levels of the Colombian educational system, is another of its main tasks. These activities are considered of the highest priority for scientific capacity building in the country. The rest of the legal basis for the existence of the Academy is covered by Decree 1218 of 1936 and by the Statutes, the last of which were approved in 2004.
The Academy is a non-governmental organization with three categories of members: corresponding, full (40 members) and honorary (5 members). Corresponding and full members are nominated by five full or honorary members. A Commission studies the CV of the candidate and prepares a concept. During a meeting of the plenum of the Academy the full and honorary members vote to accept or reject the candidate. The candidate must present and original paper. Candidates are nominated and elected based on scientific contributions. Candidates from outside the country are required to have participated in national academic activities. Honorary members are nominated by the Executive Committee. There are 18 women out of 108 members (16.6%). The percentage of women involved in research activities in our country is about 18%.